Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Baby Boom

It seems to me that all of my friends are having kids right now: my cousin (twin girls), a friend in Seattle (boy), a friend here in CO (boy), and a co-worker (girl). Not to mention other co-workers that I'm not close to, or friends of those people who are also having kids. Its wild! But it means I am knitting like crazy to make homemade personal gifts to give to them. Some haven't made it on time, and some..well I still have a little time to get everything done. Here's the to-do list (I'll post photos soon):

Cousin: Alycee
So she was having twins, hates pink (which I agree with) and wanted some bright colors. I wanted to do something that was twin oriented, so I made little shirts in Dr. Seuss fashion. Thing 1 and Thing 2. It took me FOREVER to get the colorwork done on the front. I keep pulling the carry overs too tight and puckering the front. (It seems that everytime I do multiple colors this happens, need more practice I think) Finally I got something that I liked, finished them and mailed them off. I didn't make the deadline for the baby shower, or for the birth for that matter. But they are warm and I beat winter. Here's a photo of the pattern, I need to harass the mother more for a photo of the girls, they have tons to do without worrying about me right now.

From Knitting


Seattle - Matt
This project was probably the first baby project, the problem with that was I got a little ambitious in terms of size. He's getting a two sided baby blanket. On the one side (which is complete) it says "My daddy is a nerd and I love him" on the other side (incomplete so far) it says "My mommy is a knitter and I love her". His wife knits and should love it. Its soft and pretty, I'll be warm. But other babies keep getting in the way. Right now I have it almost done, just have to grind through the 8 inches of solid color and finish it. The finishing is going to be challenging. Still not sure how I am going to do it, just have to wait and see.

Colorado - Angie
I like to be ambitious and with time constraints it seems. The baby shower is at the end of September and I have ideas. She wants a hat for her baby boy, to keep him warm (due in December). So I found a cute hat that is a main color with green leaves ontop. Which gave me an idea.. a series of fruit/vegtable hats of different sizes. One green pea, one eggplant, one tomato, and one pumpkin. And maybe a little coat to go along with it all. (I know, slap me now) This would be combined with a basket of baby odds and ends: bottles, binkies, sippy cups and whatever else I can find. I just hope I can get it all done. I was going to go to the store and get yarn, but the stores close when I get off work or the closer one isn't open today.. alas I must wait another day.

Co-worker - Steven
I've never met his wife, but he's my lead, therefore he's getting a gift. But I have until December (no baby showers to come early) and its going to be something simple, a hat or coat. Nothing too fancy, and I haven't decided yet... more on this later.

No comments:

Post a Comment