Sunday, March 28, 2010

Multiple Projects

I've had several people laugh at me and ask me why I feel the need to knit something for every couple I know who's having a baby. To be honest there are lots of reasons, first every baby should have something hand made and something that has a lot of love and caring built in. Second it gives me a break from whatever project I'm currently working on. My sweater that I've been working on is now in the long dull phase, just trying to get length, so its nice to have a break from now and then working on other things. Lastly, gives me a chance to go through my stash and dwindle it down. Especially the smaller scraps of yarn that aren't big enough for other projects. 

As you may have guessed...I'm knitting another baby project. A baby blanket...I tried this pattern once before and failed at it, but I've learned more now (and it seems to be paying off) I started the blanket this weekend, its knit in a series of squares...when I was laying out the yarn I thought it would look alright...but it turns out that I hate the color combination...not sure what I was thinking. I didn't even finish the red portion before I gave up and decided to look for more yarn. (You can even see that my pick up and knit was off too, because its not really a rectangle) Anyway I grabbed the yarn that my sweater is made of but in different colors and started a new set. The squares are smaller but the knitting is faster, so I think it will work out. I can always make more squares until I get the size I am looking for. Interestingly, the pattern calls for a slip edge, which makes it easier to pick up and knit...but you also have to pick up edges that have been bound off...so I don't know how that's all supposed to work. But I'm managing. I've got three squares done now.


The blanket pattern calls for 12 of these squares to be made, then they are all attached together (and all those pesky ends are woven in) Lastly the entire blanket gets a solid edge attached to it. I'll have to see what yarn I have left to see if its possible to put one of the lighter colors around the edge, otherwise it might be one of the darker colors. (Purple and green). Overall I'm much much happier with the color combination this time, and the yarn feels more baby friendly to me. Like I said its a fast knit, made those 3 squares in about a day.


One final note. The color work on my sweater is done, now it's just a matter of time to get it all finished. I figured when I had a few hours to sit down and knit I would work on finishing the baby blanket (I have till mid May) but when it comes to doing little knits here and there and during lunch or whatever I would work on my sweater. Hopefully it will be done soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment