Tuesday, October 20, 2009

The glorious finish!


Thats right, the baby shower happened on Oct. 17th and everything was finished in glorious style! The pumpkin hat went quick, much like the other hats, though I forgot to do my ribbed plan to get the bumpy nature of the pumpkin, but everyone got the idea that it was a pumpkin. I'll make a note to try and remember to do it next time. So with the hats all done...what did I do? I made my own version of a diaper cake. For those who are unaware about what a diaper cake is, here's a brief description: Take diapers, roll them up (securing with rubberbands or string) put them in a circle standing up, basically creating a sheet cake. From there you make several 'cakes' and stick baby items in them. Wrapping blankets around them, sticking in toys, pacifiers, spoons, whatever you want to give.


Well I wanted to make a fruit basket. So I used the rolled diapers to fill the basket, prop up the hats and hold everything together. Additionally I took a bundle of socks and converted them into sock flowers! (In reality I couldn't make the sock roses or sock ribbons, so I had to figure out something else to make, but I think they look good). In the end the basket all came together. A handful of socks, knitted fruit and veggie hats along with a warm and wonderful little sweater. Then of course the non-artsy stuff: bottles, pacifiers, recieving blankets, rockie's onesies, and a Daddy's little wing man shirt. Angie loved them all so mission accomplished! I even have a few people who want their own, so there are now talks of opening a knitting store. Selling hats, small baby items, and maybe even hand warmers or something. The idea is either just baby items or expanding to doing many knitted items as well. Who knows....

2 comments:

  1. I have dreamed about opening a knitting store until I talked to an owner of one and she told me she never has time to knit...that cannot be me! I also feel I need to be the best knitter in the world to work at one (which I am not). I do wear a name of my future knitting store on my wrist. I would love to get together and knit when you are in town to visit your mom (even if I have to come to the Eastside)....when are you home next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might sell stuff, I'm not super sure though. I loved making the little hats, they were super fun...but I fear that it would get old for me very fast, so I'm not sure. I promised to think about it after the craziness of this week is over.

    ReplyDelete